Funky Christmas (Cotillion Records)


Here's one of my last offerings for FaLaLaLaLa's Christmas in July celebration. I was going to hold onto this one until Christmas but moved it up since it's so... well... funky!

This album was released at Christmas, 1976 on Cotillion Records, a subsidiary of Atlantic Records. This label had an impressive roster of artists that included Jean Knight, The Fatback Band, Stacy Lattislaw, and even the Velvet Underground (before they imploded in the early 1970s).

Two of its major finds were Sister Sledge (of "We Are Family" fame) and a three member group by the name of Luther. Take a real good look at who's sitting behind the piano...

Yep, that Luther!

Each artist listed on the cover above get two tracks each on this album and clearly the best cuts on the album ("May Christmas Bring You Happiness" and "At Christmas Time") are from Vandross and company.

However, leave some room for the other artists. John Edwards shines, Willis Jackson is no King Curtis but his wailin' sax will make you feel great, Margie Joseph's two songs will haunt me forever - "Christmas Gift" had two major scratches on it and took me a full day to record, and the Impressions (without Curtis Mayfield) are in fine form with their two songs; the latter being an epic 5 minute, 50 second version of "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus"!

Download it yourself and take a listen:


Funky Christmas (Cotillion Records)


This album works best if you happen to have shag carpeting, platform shoes, and either "Maude" or "Sanford & Son" playing on a black & white TV set softly in the background.

Happy listening...


Capt

Comments

Ernie said…
Thanks for the share, Cap'n. I wondered where that Luther track was from. I've got it on a collection somewhere. I'm always amazed when you dig up records I've never seen before. It keeps me hunting. :)
Anonymous said…
Can you PLEASE repost the Funky Christmas album? My parents played this album EVERY Christmas when I was a child growing up in Louisiana and I haven't been able to find it as an mp3 file anywhere. I would truly appreciate it! I can be reached at kissthedeejay@yahoo.com.

Thank you in advance!!!!

DJ Kiss
NYC
CaptainOT said…
DJ Kiss - I'm not sure I still have this one... check back soon!


Capt
Anonymous said…
Thank you for reposting this album! I just downloaded it!

Happy Holidays!

DJ Kiss
Anonymous said…
Can you please repost the Funky Christmas Album again...please! Been searching for this forever! Or tell me where I can find it elsewhere. Thanks...Eldon
Anonymous said…
Thanks a bunch for reposting The Funky Christmas album!! You are awesome!!! I've got another question...have you or anybody you know ever heard about the Total Experience Christmas Album? Made middle 80's with the Gap Band, Prime Time, Yarbrough & Peoples, Goodie, Jonah Ellis etc. Don't know if it's any good, but it sure sounds interessting! Thanks again...Eldon
CaptainOT said…
Eldon - I've heard great things about that 1984 album and I've heard not-so-great things about it as well.

Info about the album:

http://www.discogs.com/release/1114572

Your best bet is to search eBay and/or GEMM or Musicstack online. If that doesn't work, check your local vinyl bins!

Glad you enjoyed the repost! Best of luck...


Capt
Thanks! I haven't listened to this yet - but it looks choice!
CaptainOT said…
Northern Miles - It's a great album from start to finish - never mind the big names like Luther - go right for those tracks with Margie Joseph, John Edwards, and Willis Jackson!


Capt
CaptainOT said…
Craig - You're welcome!


Capt
Paul S. said…
Thank you SOOOOOO much for this. I have been hunting for four years for this album. My parents also played this album every year during the holidays. This will be the perfect gift for them this year. Awesome!!!!

I saw momma kissing Santa Claus is the classic we loved so much!

All the Best. Paul S. - Ohio
Paul S. said…
Thanks so much for this. I have been searching for four years for this. My parents also played this every year during the holidays and it is a part of our family heritage. The search ended today. I saw momma kissing Santa Claus brought back so many memories :)

So excited to give this to them for Christmas!!!!

Paul S. - Ohio

Popular posts from this blog

A Christmas Yuleblog Sampler - 2011

2001 Playlist

Bruce Woodman Presents Christmas Carols With A Latin Lilt