Vintage Christmas Ads Pt. 14 - Cadillac, 1955

In addition to collecting Christmas music, I have collected nearly 1000 vintage Christmas ads over the years. Many of these include celebrities, radio, television, cigarettes, liquor, modern appliances, and the like.

Every Friday from here until I run out, I will feature an ad from my collection.

I invite you to add a fun comment, witticism, clever remark, or observation in the comments section provided. Any comments deemed worthy of repeating will be included into this entry where all the world will see it.

Several weeks ago when it was still 2008, we experienced an ice storm here in Indiana the likes they haven't seen in many decades. They're still clearing the downed branches and trees and expect to do so for several more weeks.

Since then, we've had more icy than snowy days here. Earlier this week, conditions were right for black ice to form more than once. The streets have been pretty clear but in my subdivision, a car takes on the characteristics of a hockey puck on fresh Zamboni-ed ice.

So I wasn't surprised yesterday when my durable 1997 Saturn started to drift when I applied the brakes for a stop sign. The car slid past the red octagon, hit a curb violently which caused the entire front end of the car to land directly on a neighbor's giant landscape rock.

After backing it out, the damage was already done - the radiator was bent beyond recognition and belching fluid. I drove it slowly back to my home where I parked the car in the driveway to inspect it. I noticed lots of broken plastic, a bent A/C condenser, and questionable struts.

The damage report from the shop wasn't promising. $1,600 in parts alone and they weren't done yet.

When my wife and I purchased the used Saturn almost 10 years ago (March, 1998), it had been driven 7,000 miles. Three kids and two other minivans later, it now has 189,000+ miles and was running smooth.

We'll be car shopping on Saturday. Thanks to the dismal economy at present, we should be able to get a great deal on a new auto to take its place. In that spirit, here's a classic Christmas ad from Cadillac.


(Click on image to enlarge)


Like the ad's slogan, our 1997 Saturn is a car we'll never forget. I'm sorry to see the little car go - it did the job well until the end. Funeral services are pending.

What do you think?

Stubbyfears says: Watch out for that angel. It looks like it's stealing the ornaments.

Any other opinions?


Capt

Comments

Anonymous said…
Watch out for that angel. It looks like it's stealing the ornaments.

Popular posts from this blog

A Christmas Yuleblog Sampler - 2011

2001 Playlist

Bruce Woodman Presents Christmas Carols With A Latin Lilt