A Country Christmas (Decca Records)


Alphabetically, "A Country Christmas" has been at the very top of my list of shared albums.

Ironically, it's one of the last albums I'll be posting!

To kick off the Christmas holiday weekend, I give you this absolute gem of an album from 1963.

I found this LP in an antique store earlier this year. The cover hooked me and the lineup of songs reeled me in! I finally found a copy of "Captain Santa Claus" by Bobby Helms and "Tag Along" by the Wilburn Brothers!

This isn't your average run-of-the-mill country compilation either. There are some excellent examples of the Nashville sound and pure vintage old school twangy country sung by some of the best artists Decca Records had in their corral of stars!

You're going to find something on this album you're going to love. Be it the bluegrass sounds of Bill Monroe, the deep, rich sound of Red Foley's voice, or listening to pure storytelling on songs by Ernest Tubb or the three guys named Jimmy (or Jimmie) on the LP!

This made another and PFFFTT... here it is:


A Country Christmas (Decca Records)


Happy listening...


Capt

Comments

PDMan said…
Excellent! You have made my day!
CaptainOT said…
PD - Glad to have helped!


Capt
Thank You! Great music, great cover scan.
CaptainOT said…
Nodog - The cover was what caught my attention. This could have been Souvlakian folk music and I still would have inspected this.

Old-school country. Can't beat it!


Capt
swac said…
Love Webb Pierce! Does anyone know if he did a full Christmas record?

BTW...do you have the Kitty Wells/Johnny Wright single There Won't Be Any Tree This Christmas?
CaptainOT said…
Swac - As far as I know, Pierce did a handful of Christmas singles but no full album.

And no, I don't own that particular single - try FaLaLaLaLa.com!


Capt

Popular posts from this blog

A Christmas Yuleblog Sampler - 2011

2001 Playlist

Bruce Woodman Presents Christmas Carols With A Latin Lilt