Vintage Christmas Ads Pt. 21 - Paul Jones Whiskey, 1942

In addition to collecting Christmas music, I have collected nearly 1000 vintage Christmas ads over the years. Many of these include celebrities, radio, television, cigarettes, liquor, modern appliances, and the like.

I will attempt every Friday from here until I run out, I will feature an ad from my collection.

I invite you to add a fun comment, witticism, clever remark, or observation in the comments section provided. Any comments deemed worthy of repeating will be included into this entry where all the world will see it.

In the last installment of this feature (see link above), I selected an ad from the 1920s because of its simple but elegant illustration and its dependence on its text to get its message across.

Earlier this year, I came across a 1942 LIFE magazine and found several different wartime ads, Christmas ads, and Christmas wartime ads. But the one ad that struck me as the cleverest and funniest of the lot was this one from a once-popular whiskey brand.

Between the late 1930s and early 1940s, Paul Jones utilized a camel as its spokeperson in several highly entertaining and understated ads. However, the Christmas ad I found has skyrocketed to one of my favorite Christmas ads in my entire collection.

From its opening line to the reactions of the shoppers in the street and in the shadows, the witty dialogue you follow along below the wonderful illustration, this is just plain strange fun.


(Click on image to enlarge)


I'm hoping there are other Paul Jones Christmas camel ads out there... the search will continue!

What do you think?

Tito says: "Unbeknownst to Camel, 'Effendi' came from a family of Bedouin immigrants who were about to enjoy a marvelous meal of Camel Biryani for Christmas. 'God bless us everyone', exclaimed Little Jimmie."

Jonathan says: "How much PJ can your dromendary store?"

Any other opinions?


Capt

Comments

Tito said…
Unbeknownst to Camel, "Effendi" came from a family of Bedouin immigrants who were about to enjoy a marvelous meal of Camel Biryani for Christmas.
"God bless us everyone", exclaimed Little Jimmie.
Unknown said…
“How much PJ can your dromedary store?”

Alternate: “I knew I should have gotten a two humper!”

Popular posts from this blog

A Christmas Yuleblog Sampler - 2011

2001 Playlist

Bruce Woodman Presents Christmas Carols With A Latin Lilt