Harry Secombe - White Christmas


This was one of the last albums I purchased this year to share and it has a special place in my heart.

During this past year, I worked overtime to get nearly 150 downloaded Christmas albums and nearly 2000 Christmas MP3s - some dating back as 2006 - off my hard drive.

Most of the time I was working on the computer doing this, I would listen to a collection of old-time radio Christmas programs on my Windows Media Player (Jack Benny, Bob Hope, Fibber McGee, WWII shows, Jean Shepherd).

The one show I kept coming back to over and over was the lone Christmas episode of the Goon Show in my collection. Peter Sellers, Spike Milligan, and Harry Secombe ad nauseum was such a delight that it made all the work on the computer more bearable.

Secombe had one of the most remarkable voices for a British comedian. After the Goons ended, Secombe went on to star in several musicals in London and appearing on television and in movies - his best known role was as Mr. Bumble in the 1969 musical "Oliver!" Moooooore??

When I found this 1966 album at Discovery Records' website, I knew my course was clear. It blows me away every time I hear it. Hope it does the same for you.


Harry Secombe - White Christmas


In later years, Harry was a special programming consultant and television director for Harlech Television and a presenter of religious programmes on British television. He was made a knight of the British Empire in 1981 and jokingly referred to himself as Sir Cumference.

I'll end this entry with a clip from 1989 that features Secombe and young Andrew Kennedy singing "Silent Night":



Happy listening...


Capt

Comments

Inkydog said…
I really like this record! Thanks for sharing.
CaptainOT said…
Inky - Not bad for a Goon, eh? I'm liking this album as well - solemn and majestic but not lofty.

Thanks for the comment Ink!


Capt

Popular posts from this blog

KFUO Presents Christmas Hymns And Carols

The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson Celebrates Christmas DVD

O Tannenbaum - Christmas On The Rhine (Decca Records)