Bobby Vinton - Christmas Promo EP

On January 2, 2006, a FaLaLaLaLa member named Elaine Zap posted this in the Members Share section of the forums:

"In 1963, Bobby Vinton put out an EP called "The Four Songs of Christmas". Three of the four songs were repeated on other complilations, but "The Christmas Song... (the chestnuts roasting on an open fire song)" never seemed to show up anywhere else.

"I'd really love to have it if someone could post it for me (provided it's not still available somewhere). It wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't available, though, because I can barely find mention of it even when I Google it.

After searching in the usual places (eBay, GEMM, Musicstack), I concluded this was indeed a dead end.

One morning this past August, I clicked open my e-mail account and found this little gem on eBay (where else?)  I clicked, I paid, I won it!

I do own Bobby Vinton's "A Very Merry Christmas" which can usually be found on eBay selling for $50 where his version of "White Christmas" can be found. On Vinton's "Great Songs Of Christmas" CD, "Silver Bells" can be found. "Kissin' Christmas: The Bobby Vinton Christmas Album" contains none of the four songs listed here.

Elaine, I believe you are right... this promo 45 (and EP I'm still looking for) is the only place in the world where you can find Bobby Vinton singing "The Christmas Song"!

And through my searches, it also contains the only version of "O Holy Night" Vinton ever recorded!

I lucked out! What better way to share my good fortune than to share my good luck with you:


Bobby Vinton - Christmas Promo EP


Happy listening...


Capt

Comments

Ernie said…
Good one, Cap! Did you by any chance compare the tracks on this EP with the released recordings on the CDs? I'd wager that they're all different versions. As you know, it's pretty common for artists to record the same songs over and over again as contracts come and go.
CaptainOT said…
Ernie - They are totally different by a wide mile. "A Very Merry Christmas" was released in November of 1964 on CBS Records.

You win the bet! But what did we wager?


Capt
Ernie said…
Next time I'm in Ft. Wayne, you can buy me dinner!

I don't think I have any of Bobby Vinton's Christmas stuff on CD, so I couldn't check for myself. Thanks for listening for me. :)
Anonymous said…
I have the EP 4 songs of Christmas with the original cover that came with it. It's a stock copy with the yellow Epic label. Both cover and record are in Mint- condition. send me an email yngold45@aol.com.
thanks. Jay
CaptainOT said…
Jay - Can you post some record scans? I would love to see some of those!


Capt
Steamradio11 said…
Many years later, looking for Bobby Vinton festive offerings, a Google search brought me here. Such a pity that the file is no longer available for download.
Any chance of this being made available again please?

Popular posts from this blog

A Christmas Yuleblog Sampler - 2011

2001 Playlist

Bruce Woodman Presents Christmas Carols With A Latin Lilt