Christmas Day, 2007

December 25th has finally arrived!

Thanks for taking time out of your holiday to visit us at the yuleblog - especially to all of our first time visitors who are looking in today!

Earlier this morning, I woke up, got dressed quickly, and ran quietly downstairs past the bedrooms of my kids. I wasn't heading to see if Santa came and left presents under the tree. I ran past the tree, past the fireplace where the stockings were hung and bulging with flair, and past the fridge (a major accomplishment for me in the AM).

I headed outdoors like a kid running to see what was under the Christmas tree. I braved the Christmas cold to retrieve my copy of the Journal-Gazette, the morning newspaper of my hometown of Fort Wayne, Indiana.

Emma Downs has been writing for the newspaper for several years. Last week, she called me about my annual Christmas CDs and my Christmas music obsession after receiving a copy of my annual Christmas CD.

A phone interview was arranged, I supplied several pictures from my music collection, and the story was published today - of all days! What a Christmas present!

The story takes up the entire front page of their features section! Here's the online link to the article:


http://www.journalgazette.net/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071225/FEAT/712250356


As I sit here basking in the glow of my computer monitor and the Christmas tree lights, only three words can describe how I feel right now:

GREAT
JUMPIN'
ICEBERGS!


In case you were wondering - The shelves are divided in three sections:
The left section is my CD collection.
The middle section music is ALL my Christmas CDs.
The right section is my wife's CD collection
and knickknacks that will be evicted in the near future.


Merry Christmas & Happy New Year
to everyone reading,
everywhere.


Rob Martinez
aka CaptainOT

Comments

Anonymous said…
Great story - congratulations! Now everyone knows what all of us visitors to your site have known for a long time - what a great and inspiring blog you have; your generosity to share and your enthusiasm for the holiday!

Merry Christmas!

Scooternyc
Jeffco said…
Congrats Rob! Well deserved. Now I'm off to link your story everywhere I can so someone, somewhere sees it and gives you your much-deserved Radio show!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
Anonymous said…
Way to go, Captain!
Anonymous said…
A Merry Christmas, indeed Rob! Way to go!

A radio show has just got to happen! Just make sure the station provides a webcast!

Jonathan
Anonymous said…
Great Christmas gift, Rob. I also learned a lot of your personal backstory. I had to laugh at some of the ads, particularly the one for Ravenscroft Beauty School. You don't get that in the New York Times.

Merry Christmas to all!
Anonymous said…
Hey Boy! :) I am proud to have been receiving the Christmas CD for many years now, and proud to call you a friend-- and not just because you made the paper! :) *hug* I will have a new tune recorded for you in time for next year-- I know you don't have it (for a change), because I wrote it! Namaste and Happiest of Holidays! Love to the family...
Erick said…
Congrats Captain.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.
Anonymous said…
What a wonderful Christmas gift! Thanks so much for sharing it with all of your fans. The work you do on the Yuleblog does not go unnoticed or unappreciated by us collectors. It's great to see your fame is growing... and growing! A radio show is inevitable...
Anonymous said…
Congratulations, Rob! And thanks for the "Great Jumpin' Icebergs." I've been waiting all December for one of those.

Merry Christmas and all the best to you and your extremely tolerant family. ;-)

Martin
Anonymous said…
Congratulations! My collection is about 1/16 of your collection, but it is growing. Great story and terrific back story.

As I had had experience in college radio back in, uh, college, when I decided on a brief return to radio I was able to do my own Christmas show, and then the next year sub for someone on Christmas morning. I wholeheartedly recommend it. Is there a JC or university near you? Take "DJ training" wherever you can get it.

Merry Christmas
Dave said…
Awesome story, and well deserved recognition. Congrats, and happy Holidays.
Dave
PDMan said…
WOW! HOW COOL IS THAT!!!!

Congratulations Cap'n!
Anonymous said…
Congrats Rob you so deserve it. I truly believe that 2008 will be your year. I hope you and your wonderful family had an awesome Christmas and will have a Very Happy New Yr.

Marnie
Ernie said…
Hey hey! Congratulations, Rob!
Anonymous said…
Hi Rob,
I read about you in the JG the other day and I thought if anyone would know this you would. For the past few years I've been looking for the source of a christmas song--I think it was written and sung by Jerry Springer and it was called something like Trailer Park Christmas. The lyrics include references to "a velvet Elvis" "matching bowling balls" and "a pink flamingo for the lawn". Does this sound familiar to you.
Great story, by the way--I am so envious--you have a post card from John Waters!

Bessie
bmakris@acpl.lib.in.us
Ernie said…
Wait a minute. I see non-Christmas CDs in that picture! What gives?
Anonymous said…
Merry Christmas Rob! Congratulations my friend, it's a great article.
Anonymous said…
Is that CD with the Phil Moore 4 for sale?
Jon Solomon said…
Outstanding. Way to go, Captain! - JS
Anonymous said…
Very cool! And that CD collection looks similar to what's in my family room! (My wife doesn't get it either.)
Anonymous said…
Christmas, Big Boy AND The Cubs! I love it! Where's the vinyl? Thanks for all the shares!
CaptainOT said…
To everyone - Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting the kind words about the article.

This was, by far, the best Christmas present I ever got and here's hoping it can be topped next Christmas!

I want to thank all of you also for reading my ramblings as well and I'm going to do my best to post as much as I humanly can in 2008.


Capt

Popular posts from this blog

A Christmas Yuleblog Sampler - 2011

2001 Playlist

Bruce Woodman Presents Christmas Carols With A Latin Lilt