Bobby Roberts & His Orchestra - Holiday Music For Happy People


Grab a coffee and sit a spell... have I got a story to tell you!

I bought this album (mono) at a thrift store in early 2006 and attempted to transfer it over throughout that year. As the 2006 Christmas downloading season was set to begin, I had completed side one with no problems, but side two was a mess.

I figured it would be ready to go for 2007 but the LP had other plans. The needle would not stay on the last two tracks of side two. As much as I tried to get it recorded, I couldn't get clean copies of the song to edit together!

I continued to work on this, off and on, for the better part of 1 1/2 years. I had finally gotten the first of the two final tracks recorded and I kept plugging away on track ten - I would apply pressure onto the tone arm just enough for the needle to go through the scratch to get the precious one second segment I needed to piece the track together.

By the middle of this year, I was down to the last 30 seconds of the final song and despite all my efforts, the needle would not cooperate. It was frustrating because this is a fantastic sounding album and I've wanted to share it for so long.

I looked on eBay in desperation and they had a clean STEREO copy available!



I decided to post the mono because of all the work invested into it and it cleaned up amazingly well after I washed it through my Sound Forge software. The stereo version is good as well. The choice is yours.

I've tried Googling Bobby Roberts but can't find little else than what's on the back cover - he was a popular Philadelphia band leader who recorded this for Decca in 1959.

Which is a shame because despite all my troubles with the mono copy, I've grown to love this album. It's a great mix of Christmas, Big Band, popular music (set at breakneck speeds at times), and some great Latin music thrown in for flavor.

Of all the albums I'm offering for 2008, this is my favorite. Hope you like it too.


Bobby Roberts & His Orchestra - Holiday Music For Happy People - MONO

Bobby Roberts & His Orchestra - Holiday Music For Happy People - STEREO


Happy listening...


Capt

Comments

Jeffco said…
I love this album!
CaptainOT said…
Jeff - Been on my boombox for several weeks now - it grows on you!

BTW folks, Jeff has some mighty fine Christmas albums of his own at his website:

http://www.jeffco.ca/christmas/


Capt
PDMan said…
This reminds me a lot of Lester Lanin. I really like this.
CaptainOT said…
PDMan - It's an infectious album - my wife begged me to take it off our boombox at home :)


Capt
Unknown said…
Oh my, thank you thank you thank you! I have this record in heavy rotation every year, and I am always on eggshells that it will somehow get snapped into a million pieces during a party. This is the year's best Christmas present. Stand up on your legs, be like 2 fried eggs, keep your sunny side up! :)
CaptainOT said…
Hester - Glad you enjoy this record! Thanks for the comment!


Capt
Superfreak3 said…
Does anyone have this .zip available anywhere. I can't find it for download? !!
Anonymous said…
I've been playing this album all week and thinking about how good it is. Mine is an heirloom copy. My parents bought a stereo around 1959 or 1960 and this album was thrown in as a freebie. My parents must have liked it because they played it a lot. I associate it with the Christmas's of my childhood but also think there would be no better music around for a Mad Men themed Christmas party now in 2014.

Popular posts from this blog

A Christmas Yuleblog Sampler - 2011

2001 Playlist

Bruce Woodman Presents Christmas Carols With A Latin Lilt