Go Home Productions - Christmas EP 2006

We conclude "Mash-up Saturday" with a look at he DJ whose work introduced me to the world of mash-ups and remains one of my favorite mashers.

Several years ago, I was searching for a specific bootleg from the Beatles to find an quote from John Lennon. This led me to the website of Mark Vidler's Go Home Productions.

I found a MP3 entitled "Beatlegs Bootles" that mashed The Beach Boys, Culture Club, and Michael Jackson into the songs of the Beatles. It totally blew my mind.

A quick search of the site led me to the MP3 called "Christmas On The Block" - the merging of Paul McCartney's "Wonderful Christmastime" and Jennifer Lopez's "Jenny On The Block" and the very first Christmas mash-up I ever heard.

Over the years, Vidler has contributed to DJ BC's two Christmas comps "Santastic: Holiday Boots 4 Your Stocking" and "Santastic II: Clausome". Late last December, Vidler issued this three track compilation of all of his Christmas comps at the website which was available for a short time to download (currently offline).

I sent Vidler the set of questions I have sent everyone who sent me a comp but as of press time, he hasn't responded to them.

TRACK REVIEWS:

1.) Carpenters Christmas (Karen Meets Roots Radics Uptown) (2006)
The Carpenters - "Sleigh Ride" / Roots Radic - "Gambling"

Who knew The Carpenters were so shaggy when doing reggae, mon? Brilliant track!

2.) Christmas On The Block (2002)
Paul McCartney - "Wonderful Christmastime" / Jennifer Lopez - "Jenny From The Block" / Samples from John & Yoko's "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)"

The very first Christmas mash-up I ever heard! To paraphrase Indiana Jones... "JLo... why did it have to be JLo?"

3.) Christmas In Boston (2004)
Boston - "More Than A Feeling" / The Beatles - "Christmas Time Is Here Again" / Samples from John & Yoko's "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)" and one other song (help please!)

GREAT JUMPIN' ICEBERGS!!! Who knew Boston and The Beatles would have sounded so perfect together? Remarkable mash!


Thanks for the introduction to the world of mash-ups Mark!


UP NEXT: Irving's Space Age Christmas


Capt

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Christmas Yuleblog Sampler - 2011

2001 Playlist

Bruce Woodman Presents Christmas Carols With A Latin Lilt