Vintage Christmas Ads Pt. 13 - Celebrity Christmas Ads

In addition to collecting Christmas music, I have collected nearly 1000 vintage Christmas ads over the years. Many of these include celebrities, radio, television, cigarettes, liquor, modern appliances, and the like.

Every Friday from here until I run out, I will feature an ad from my collection.

I invite you to add a fun comment, witticism, clever remark, or observation in the comments section provided. Any comments deemed worthy of repeating will be included into this entry where all the world will see it.

We've arrived at the Friday before Christmas. What better way to start the final Christmas weekend then with some vintage celebrities in vintage Christmas ads pitching everything from cigarettes, clock radios, cameras, Christmas Seals, and candy.

I've selected ten for your viewing enjoyment (click on all images to enlarge):



Jackie Gleason for Manhattan Shirts



Donna Reed for Singer Machines, Inc.



Ann Sothern for Lucky Strike Cigarettes



Dick Van Dyke for Kodak

Clayton Moore (The Lone Ranger) and Jay Silverheels (Tonto)
for Christmas Seals


Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz
for Philip Morris Cigarettes




(L to R) Arthur Godfrey, Bing Crosby, Perry Como, and Bob Hope
for Chesterfield Cigarettes

Starting at 12 noon going clockwise:
Nat King Cole, Stan Kenton, The Four Freshmen,
Les Paul & Mary Ford, Ray Anthony, Margaret Whiting,
Glen Gray, Dean Martin, and Judy Garland
for Telechron Timers


for Lucky Strike Cigarettes

(L to R) Curly Joe DeRita, Moe Howard, and Larry Fine
for U.S. Savings Bonds


There's a comment in you somewhere - otherwise you wouldn't have read this far. Let's hear it - your initial reaction, what you found amusing about a specific ad, or a comment on one or all of the stars shown here.

What do you think?

DonHo57 says: If I awoke on Christmas morning to find that halo of faces circling over my bed like that Telechron ad, I'd pull the covers back over my face and pray for them to leave. Too much eggnog will do that.

Ravel says: The Singer ad: the 2 miniature miracles. Jeff hates records; the way he holds the needle arm, he is about to scratch the record.

PDMan says: The Gleason ad reminds me of something I've always found funny - the use of the word "smart" to refer to fashion. "Look smart when you wear these fabulous (insert article of clothing here)." If only it were that easy.

Stubbyfears says: I see Ann Southern puts a lot of thought into her Christmas gifts...not. Cancer sticks for everybody! Whee!

Any other opinions?


Capt

Comments

Anonymous said…
Interesting to find out that the photo used on the Bing Crosby White Christmas album was originally from a Chesterfield Cigarettes ad!
DonHo57 said…
Quite a collection, thanks for sharing, these bring back nice Christmas memories.

What kind of shape would the US be in if everyone had been buying savings bonds for gifts the past fifty years? And would everyone still be getting a carton of smokes in their stockings?

If I awoke on Christmas morning to find that halo of faces circling over my bed like that Telechron ad, I'd pull the covers back over my face and pray for them to leave. Too much eggnog will do that.
bongolong said…
This ties in nicely with your brilliant Stan Freberg opus!!
Ravel said…
The Singer ad: the 2 miniature miracles. Jeff hates records; the way he holds the needle arm, he is about to scratch the record.
There is always a silly thing to find in those ads...
PDMan said…
I was listening to the Crosby Christmas channel on XM last night and they were referring to the four men of Chesterfield. Of course, he was making fun of Bob Hope.

The Gleason ad reminds me of something I've always found funny - the use of the word "smart" to refer to fashion. "Look smart when you wear these fabulous (insert article of clothing here)." If only it were that easy.
Anonymous said…
I see Ann Southern puts a lot of thought into her Christmas gifts...not. Cancer sticks for everybody! Whee!

Popular posts from this blog

A Christmas Yuleblog Sampler - 2011

2001 Playlist

Bruce Woodman Presents Christmas Carols With A Latin Lilt