Harry Secombe - White Christmas


This was one of the last albums I purchased this year to share and it has a special place in my heart.

During this past year, I worked overtime to get nearly 150 downloaded Christmas albums and nearly 2000 Christmas MP3s - some dating back as 2006 - off my hard drive.

Most of the time I was working on the computer doing this, I would listen to a collection of old-time radio Christmas programs on my Windows Media Player (Jack Benny, Bob Hope, Fibber McGee, WWII shows, Jean Shepherd).

The one show I kept coming back to over and over was the lone Christmas episode of the Goon Show in my collection. Peter Sellers, Spike Milligan, and Harry Secombe ad nauseum was such a delight that it made all the work on the computer more bearable.

Secombe had one of the most remarkable voices for a British comedian. After the Goons ended, Secombe went on to star in several musicals in London and appearing on television and in movies - his best known role was as Mr. Bumble in the 1969 musical "Oliver!" Moooooore??

When I found this 1966 album at Discovery Records' website, I knew my course was clear. It blows me away every time I hear it. Hope it does the same for you.


Harry Secombe - White Christmas


In later years, Harry was a special programming consultant and television director for Harlech Television and a presenter of religious programmes on British television. He was made a knight of the British Empire in 1981 and jokingly referred to himself as Sir Cumference.

I'll end this entry with a clip from 1989 that features Secombe and young Andrew Kennedy singing "Silent Night":



Happy listening...


Capt

Comments

Inkydog said…
I really like this record! Thanks for sharing.
CaptainOT said…
Inky - Not bad for a Goon, eh? I'm liking this album as well - solemn and majestic but not lofty.

Thanks for the comment Ink!


Capt

Popular posts from this blog

A Christmas Yuleblog Sampler - 2011

2001 Playlist

Bruce Woodman Presents Christmas Carols With A Latin Lilt