Åke Jelving - Christmas In Sweden


This is the third of the Capitol "Christmas In" series that I'm posting for 2008. The other two include "Christmas In Germany" and "Christmas In Italy". This is the Swedish version from the same series.

"Christmas In Sweden" is as authentic as you can get when it comes to Swedish Christmas.

I tried to find some background on Jelving and found two sites. The first was this Swedish Wikipedia entry (anyone other than Anna-Lena Lodenius know how to speak Swedish here?) and the other was a site offering Jelving ringtones (yeah, right!). If anyone has extra info on Åke, please let us know.

Side one contains four tracks but yumpin' yiminy! These tracks just swing with Swedish folk and Christmas. Try not tapping your toes to this side. Side two is mode sedate, more solemn. "Sankta Lucia" isn't exactly a Christmas song but somehow it fits here.

THIS JUST IN: A comment from AbleApe prompted us to re-listen to track eight. We've discovered that due to an error in the restoration of this track (aka I screwed up), 1/2 of this track was deleted. I have re-recorded it and uploaded it as a separate track - thanks Able for bringing this to my attention.

Åke Jelving - Christmas In Sweden

08 - Var Hälsad Sköna Morgonstund (CORRECTED)


Happy listening...


Capt

Comments

AbleApe said…
Nice, but half of track 8 is missing. I know this because I have the LP.
Anonymous said…
You're a life saver, my dad's been looking for this for ages - it was re-released on CD with a different title: En Riktig Svensk Jul, but I couldn't track down a copy to make sure it was the same recording as the tape he'd worn out through so many Christmases. This is definitely the one, I bought him a copy of the CD and you've made his Christmas! Thanks again!
CaptainOT said…
Able - You are correct sir! Thanks for bringing this to my attention! I've re-recorded it and uploaded it for your listening pleasure!

Anon - Glad to help your father and yourself find this again! Thanks for the comment!


Capt
Anonymous said…
Swedes are big on St. Lucy as her feast day falls on the solstice, the darkest day of the year, and she is regarded as a bringer of light. Thanks for bringing back good memories. God Jul!
Anonymous said…
Thank you so much for posting this Album.

I searched for it last Christmas and discovered you had it and shared a song. That brought back many wonderful memories. And I was able to email the mp3 to family across country.

Again this Christmas I had a bit of quiet time and thought I'd explore to see if I could find another song from this album. And hazzah! here it is, in its entirety. Thanks.

I have no idea how these songs became part of our family tradition. We have no ties to Sweden. I simply grew up listening to them on Dad's record player. This album did inspire my folks to host a Swedish exchange student for a few months. She translated the songs for Dad...but he didn't keep up with where he put it. sigh.

Anyway, thanks for producing that unexpected pearl that helps makes Christmas a special day...again!

John
Anonymous said…
Thank you, thank you! My dad was 100% Swedish: Herbert Oscar Anderson, we had this album, with many skips, and a few years back I found it on cassette but gave it to my nephew to copy to cd and it is gone forever! I found a copied cassette and was listening in the car and by a fluke I did a Google search and found you. Thanks again!
CaptainOT said…
Anon 3:53 / John / Jodi S. - Glad you reconnected with those Christmas memories!

Thanks for the comments!


Capt
Sharon said…
Many many thanks for uploading this album! I've been looking for this for years with no success. My grandmother is Swedish, and I remember listening to this in record form every year while I was growing up. The second I heard the first notes, I knew this was the album I've been looking forward. Thank you thank you!!

Popular posts from this blog

A Christmas Yuleblog Sampler - 2011

2001 Playlist

Bruce Woodman Presents Christmas Carols With A Latin Lilt