Mickey & Bunny - Sing English Xmas Carols in Ukrainian


This was a from a lot of Christmas records I purchased from a Canadian dealer off eBay earlier this year.

According to the online Encyclopedia of Music In Canada, Mickey and Bunny were a married couple who enjoyed surprising success throughout Canada with their mix of Ukranian, German, and Polish songs, dances, and original compositions.

They released a series of albums on Winnipeg's V-Records, occasionally teaming up with D-Drifters-5, an instrumental group that gained notoriety with their album of Beatle covers in Ukrainian style (oh, to find that album!)

This 1965 album finds Mickey & Bunny singing their favorite Christmas carols in English and Ukrainian and it took forever typing out the titles in the MP3 tags. I felt like John Lennon at the end of "Helter Skelter" - "I've got blisters on me fingers!"


Mickey & Bunny - Sing English Xmas Carols in Ukrainian


Mickey & Bunny had several albums to their name before splitting up in 1970. Mickey pursued a solo career. This is where the trail ends (insert your own joke here).

Happy listening...


Capt

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks for this, Mr. Cap'n! I have copied out the titles into mixed case, as best I can tell. (I think it looks nicer in iTunes.) Initial caps on each word, since I don't know the rules for capitalisation in Ukrainian.

Серед Ночі Прийшда Вона (It Came Upon A Midnight Clear)
Маде Містечко Вефлеєм (O Little Town of Bethlehem)
На Даху (Up on the House Top)
Приходьте Всі Вірні (O Come All Ye Faithful)
Три Царі (We Three Kings of Orient Are)
Перше різдво (The First Noel)
Прибирайте Дім (Deck the Hall)
Святий Николай (Jolly Old St. Nick)
Свята Ніч (Silent Night)
Слухай Як Вісник Співає (Hark the Herald Angels Sing)
Що За Диття (What Child Is This)
Спочивайте Добрі Люди (God Rest You Merry Gentlemen)

(I did try copying out the lyrics, but my eyes started to merge after four lines.)

WV: bleonst; bleonst us, every one!
CaptainOT said…
Dave N - I'm surprised you don't have permanently damaged eyes - my eyes were hurting after one or two MP3 tags!

Thanks for your hard work!


Capt
Anonymous said…
Mickey is (was) my uncle. His son (Mickey Jr) has since passed away but "Bunny" (real name Elsie) is doing well and living in Winnipeg. I have every one of their records as well as every record that the D-Drifters recorded (Tony & Dave rocked!)

Popular posts from this blog

A Christmas Yuleblog Sampler - 2011

2001 Playlist

Bruce Woodman Presents Christmas Carols With A Latin Lilt