It's A YouTube Christmas - Pt. 9

From time to time this Christmas season, I'll be posting some amazing videos that have been rescued by people like us and posted at the mecca of all things wonderful and obscure - YouTube.

I invite you to add a fun comment, witticism, clever remark, or observation in the comments section provided. Any comments deemed worthy of repeating will be included into this entry where all the world will see it.

My wife asked for my Christmas list the other day. One of the items on that list was a new DVD entitled "Johnny Carson Celebrates Christmas" that compiles some of the best moments that occured during his 30 year reign on "The Tonight Show".

It features Doc Severinsen and the Tonight Show band performing yuletide classics, famous celebs like Robin Williams and Tony Bennett, holiday monologues from Johnny, a special holiday visit from Bob Hope ("I wanna tell ya, I was taping across the hall..."), and dozens of holiday skits like the one posted below.

Hereeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee's Johnny:



Why is there a ghostly image of Frank Sinatra and Johnny Carson on the paused screen? This was taped off Johnny's 15th anniversary show and the clip immediately after the Christmas skit is with the pair. Watch for a surprise visit from Mr. Warmth Don Rickles!

What do you think?

Stubby says: What do I think? I think that first skit should have been on the DVD. It wasn't.

Any other opinions?


Capt

Comments

Anonymous said…
What do I think? I think that first skit should have been on the DVD. It wasn't. I'd have liked the Rickles/Sinatra summit, too.
CaptainOT said…
Stubby - REALLY? Maybe I should think twice about this selection then...


Capt
Anonymous said…
Well, it's not a Best Of if that's what you were expecting. It's three shows from different years (all in the 80s, I believe) edited down to the essential stuff. One of the three is pretty much a complete show. And, don't get me wrong, they were good shows. Robin Williams was on fire (and I'm far from his biggest fan)--my mother and I couldn't breathe from laughing (she doesn't like him at all). The video quality was exceptional--as good as I've seen for DVD collections of recent series.

But...I dunno...I don't think it would have hurt them to throw in a bunch of loose skits, songs, and jokes--a montage even--from assorted years...including some of the ancient classics. I was hoping to see Art Fern.

OK. The Word Verification people have gotten ridiculous. Now it's "dings".
CaptainOT said…
Stubby - My wife had two words for me: too late.

Watch for a DVD review in the New Year!


Capt

Popular posts from this blog

A Christmas Yuleblog Sampler - 2011

2001 Playlist

Bruce Woodman Presents Christmas Carols With A Latin Lilt